Sorcerers Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Mhogrymm

Re: Sorcerers Supplement

Post by Mhogrymm »

Solomoriah wrote:
Mhogrymm wrote:I really like the idea of sorcerers having a different spell list. Otherwise they are just a magic-user with an alternate casting system.
But, that is the point of the sorcerer... a magic-user with a different casting system.
In recent gaming history it has been. "Sorcerer" has always conjured a more negative image in my mind. Probably because most authors I read growing up used the term to describe the spell casting antagonist to their hero. Homer and Howard come to mind.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ah. When I see "sorcerer," I think of the Arcanum's "scientific magic-users."
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

In my mind Sorcerer means some sort of Spontaneous Caster, with its own peculiar aspects. In later editions the class assumes that there are even heritage or bloodline aspects within the class, capable of casting through almost innate ability.
The traditional Magic-User is more the "Studious Wizard" who acquires magic through study and the accumulation of information... very different styles in play.

In most circumstances I actually prefer the standard studious wizard sort of class, as I think it fits most types of casters or what players have in mind when they wand to play a spell caster. I do think that a sort of Innate/Spontaneous caster is appropriate for some, as literature is full of characters who find that they have some sort of Talent for magic without any special intelligence or 'learned information'.

I do think that they need to have differentiation in more ways than just 'different casting system'.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

SmootRK wrote:I do think that they need to have differentiation in more ways than just 'different casting system'.
Perhaps. But adding complexity for the sake of complexity is counter to the design ethos of BFRPG. Any differentiation would have to be more than just that for me to find it acceptable. It would need to be cool. Or at least elegant.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I am not adding any more complexity than what any other class offering has (Druid, Illusionist, Necro, etc.)... albeit I am fully writing out the class so that it can stand alone without all the referencing back and forth to core rules (as I have re-touched the Druid, Illusionist, Ranger, etc.).
... the mechanic does work slightly differently, but as simple as normal spell casting rules.

As to the flavor of the class, perhaps subjective, but it could be modified (via spell list). I think I will add an Optional Section at the end of the document that suggests a GM could resort to a simplistic "same spell list as MU if desired" if that fits the GM's campaign concept better.

Anyhow, wait until I get a chance to post it up for your critiques. I believe it will be liked by most.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

Solomoriah wrote:
swirler wrote:I'm a fan of all casters using spell points. the "planning ahead" spell casting has never set right with me.
I felt that way in the past; what changed my mind was Zelazny's second Amber series. Merlin, son of Corwin, prepares his battle spells in advance because it takes too long to cast them on the spot. Other spells, which are not so time-critical, he does cast that way. I'd love to see that exact mechanic in BFRPG form, but for now only my "other" game has it. (Realms of Wonder, if you're interested, is that game.)
Merlin's method makes a lot of sense. What is 'Realms of Wonder'?

Also, did you ever get into the Amber RPG? I have it, but never did get to play. It could be a pretty cool game, but I can imagine it might also be a nightmare to GM.
Sir Bedivere
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Sir Bedivere wrote:Merlin's method makes a lot of sense. What is 'Realms of Wonder'?
My "other" game:

http://tower.gonnerman.org/realmsofwonder.html
Sir Bedivere

Post by Sir Bedivere »

I like both the magic and advancement systems in Realms of Wonder.

Just out of curiosity, what RPGs do you play most often?
Sir Bedivere
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Basic Fantasy and Project 74 (my "old" clone).
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Solomoriah wrote:I felt that way in the past; what changed my mind was Zelazny's second Amber series. Merlin, son of Corwin, prepares his battle spells in advance because it takes too long to cast them on the spot. Other spells, which are not so time-critical, he does cast that way. I'd love to see that exact mechanic in BFRPG form, but for now only my "other" game has it. (Realms of Wonder, if you're interested, is that game.)
This is actually part of my 'rationalization' of the memory slot approach - The spells aren't learned and 'forgotten,' but rather they are sufficiently complex that part of the casting needs to be done ahead of time - your time preparing is mentally building and infusing (half-casting or loading, if you prefer) the spell image/diagram/circuit/whatever. Dovetails nicely with the Channeling items system here, too.

In comparison, the Sorcerer (here and in 3+) is someone for whom casting comes naturally. They can whip up the spell pattern or whatnot from memory in a flash, and quickly draw the magic power they need to use it. They don't have to study as much to master this, although their understanding may be limited in other ways.

I think the difference between the Supplement system and SmootRK's idea (the Fey-Mage) is on versatility - either they can use anything they know, any time, at greater 'energy' cost (i.e. fewer castings between rests), or they have a more limited skill set (mastering a handful of spells) but can use at any time, and more often.
Go with a smile!