Character Class Focuses Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
k_ba

Character Class Focuses Supplement

Post by k_ba »

Hey all,

I have a love of simplified things. So rather than full blown sub-classes, these much simpler class focuses do not use different XP tables, or have heavy associated rules. (See the list of Class Focuses below my sig.)

Instead advantages and disadvantages accrue to each class focus so that class balance remains intact with the base class, but there is more ability to add color and flavor to the characters created.

V7 is the current version, new for 2019, with more tweaks added after play testing and images that are now fully from open sources.
BF-CharacterClassFocuses-Supplement-v7.pdf
(686 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
BF-CharacterClassFocuses-Supplement-v7.odt
(785.39 KiB) Downloaded 339 times
K
Last edited by k_ba on Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:33 pm, edited 18 times in total.
chiisu81

Re: New Simplified Sub-Classes Supplement

Post by chiisu81 »

Looks good!

First sentence: extra space (flavor of characters)
Why use subclasses?: second paragraph, extra space (Sub-Classes focus)
Tomb Robber, Advantages: extra space (traps. IE)
Holy Fool, Advantages: extra space (cleric of 2 levels)
Holy Mage, Disadvantage: extra space (Permanent loss)
Fighting Mage, Disadventages: 2 extra spaces (2nd 2nd level spell) (also, should re-write as 2nd 2nd-level)
Last line of OGL license: need to add your title, etc.
k_ba

Post by k_ba »

Cool! I will get on it.

Thanks for the detailed proofing, I am typing this on my old as dirt laptop and keep hitting the mouse with my palm and messing up the cursor position. :)
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Give me a few days and I'll see what I can draw for you.

Initial suggestion: Why not use another name as to avoid overlapping with the sub-classes? It also allows a GM to combine both in hos game.

Fighters:
-Berserk: I believe Berserker fits as a better name, although the sub-class is balance in itself I don't see any disadvantage compared with a normal Fighter, its disadvantages are while berserking, otherwise its like a regular fighter. They also don't get any level benefit, they should have more berserk states per day, or more damage, or both as they earn levels. I would have them rolling one die better for HP.
-Focused Master: BF foes not make use of critical hits, so an explanation of what this does is required.
-Unarmed Master: The unarmed damage seems to be to high, even with the magic weapon ability acquired at level 10. I don't get the point in them only using the largest (and more damaging) weapons.
-Warrior Poet: Why poet? The ability to read scrolls for 1HP less at each level gained... I would prefer rolling a d6 or one die smaller.

Thieves: The d6 HD rule should be left out as is more an optional Class ruling.
-Focused Thief: Ditch the HP penalty, the levels modifiers are balanced enough, if you want to balance it further change the levels modifiers, something like +3 in one skill and -5 in the other. I think it would be better if the player chooses freely which skill to reduce.
-Tomb Robber: It looks like a twitched Focused Thief, I would replace Pickpocket with a Read/Decipher Scrip skill.
-Holy Fool: Their healing power does not looks like something a god will give them to help them in their task of retrieving things.

Clerics
-Temple Scholars: I don't like them, they are equal to the Warrior Poet, plus they already can cast spells from scrolls, although not the MU's exclusive ones. They should have something relate to scholarship, knowledge from books and such.
-Healer: They also don't get any level relate benefit. Why not let them to cast healing spells while unprepared?

Magi Users
-Holy Mage: The attack and damage bonus will make them fight more than the necessary, which will cause them to die. Having a d4 for HD a -1 HP per level is kind of too much. The 1st level spell earn and lost are somehow confusing. Let them learn one Cleric spell of each level that is related to their god.
-Fighting Mage: Really don't like it, even with the shield and the weird HD they still fight like MU with no armor, and have to give up part of their magic.
-Alchemist: Its more of an enchanter than an alchemist, plus, BF does not have "player levels", they also don't have a level based benefit. Basing on the BF alchemist (core book) I would give him a +15% + double level when creating certain magical objects.

Final word: I see that some sub-classes are basically the same benefits and penalties, so, you could take the road of quasi-classes and make these sub-classes open to any class, so, a Holly Sub-Class would get the healing bonus, etc. But I strongly recommend against this route as it might end up being to close to the actual quasi-classes.

Hope you don't mind my observations.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
k_ba

Post by k_ba »

Good observations. Edit: I tried to address them, and I think it improved the class focuses. Thanks again!

No worries on constructive criticism, that is exactly what I am looking for. :)
Dimirag

Re: Character Class Focuses Supplement

Post by Dimirag »

I can see this supplement divided in two:

One with the simple sub-classes idea, and one with the focus idea.

The one with the focus idea, if I would make it, would consist on two parts, the first part list what each class can sacrifice in order to gain a focus (weapon/armor access, spell, special abilities, etc.), and the other part would give the Focuses such as increased attack, damage or ac, new or increased special abilities, etc.

Another suggestion: Whenever you upload a new file put a new message saying it, otherwise the file could be lost to those that already downloaded a previous release.
k_ba

Post by k_ba »

Uploaded a new V3 set of files, got the wrong PDF on the first pass.

Same material with inputs from the community taken into account. Definitely more polished now. Thanks everybody.
k_ba

Post by k_ba »

I think you could definitely come up with a focus system like that, however I worry that it veers too closely to the system of skills adopted in 3.5 etc.

While I like those sometimes, they make it very hard to just get rolling simply. At least with these archetypal class focuses, there is something a player can just grab and go. I really like the simplicity of BF, and just wanted to add flavor without adding too many rules or layers.

A good idea though. I will consider abstracting it as a separate attempt.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

3.5 skill system? or you mean Feats? Some time ago I had the idea of "trade-offs" which is essentially what I spoke above, you give up something in order to gain something.

Having the focuses already compacted into class-like formats is a faster way to go and more helpful to some GMs and players.
k_ba

Post by k_ba »

Maybe feats. I really didn't play much after 2e, so I am not super qualified to speak on modern d&d. :( Yes, I am a middle aged man, I admit it.

I think you hit it on the head though, I like the "packaged" format for ease of adoption for younger or time-challenged players.

K