Supplement : The Magic Shoppe

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
mTeasdale

Re: Supplement : The Magic Shoppe

Post by mTeasdale »

I just finished the first draft and added it to the showcase.
Longman

Post by Longman »

I like the general idea and the average costings look about right to me without checking closely. Does it fit with the magic item creation rules?

My main quibble is that you've given a system for establishing base prices, with a large variation within it, but there is never any need to know such prices unless you are buying or selling or trading. You've then given another system that describes a 10-60% variable for retail prices, which I think duplicates the variation that already exists within the base price rolls. If I just followed the tables I could end up buying a +1 sword for 4800gp and selling it later for 800gp. Personally I think that's too great a range.

So, instead of having one straight mechanic for Buying and Selling Magic Items you should present a series of options to the readers:

Option 1 - just use the base price and role play the haggling.
Option 2 - use the average base price and then apply a smaller retail modifier like 10-40%, at most. (If it was me I'd make it 10-30%.)
Option 3 - describe the variable price range instead of rolling it, i.e,: +1 sword: 2000-3000 gp. Then let the DM decide the price within that range.
Option 4 - just use the variable price chart you have provided, with no retail modifier, and see what the price is on the day. Maybe the PCS will get ripped off and maybe they will get lucky.

Overall I think using the variable base price and the 10-60% retail modifier is too much.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Not a bad idea, I think I'm gonna keep the text about the buy low/sell high thing, without putting actual numbers there.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Edit made, and artwork added, thanks to Al Cook. R2 uploaded.
GMOverlord

Post by GMOverlord »

Hi, I just noticed that in the licence it was listed as the saving throw options supplement in the beginning. You should probably fix it.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Thanks !

Bumped to R3.