Arthander's Field Guides

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Arthander's Field Guides

Post by Solomoriah »

Arthander's Field Guides

The wizard Arthander performed extensive research on the various creatures of the world, and he created a series of books he called Field Guides. Each Field Guide contains detailed information about the nature (biology, culture, etc.) of 2d4 different types of creatures.

Arthander was not an organized man, and so each Field Guide contains information about a truly random assortment of creatures. But they are magical books, such that any character having 9 or higher Intelligence who studies one of these books for 1 hour learns the deepest secrets of the creature of his or her choice which is detailed within.

For 1d4 days plus the reader's Intelligence bonus, he or she has a significant advantage when facing these creatures. In combat, the reader has a bonus of +3 on all attack rolls and saving throws that are relevant to the creature's nature (i.e. no bonus on saving throws vs. spells cast by Dragons, but a bonus on saves vs. the Dragon's breath weapon). Reaction rolls receive a bonus of +2, so that if the reader attempts to parley he or she is more likely to receive a positive response. When facing the reader (and his or her party, if any), the specified creatures suffer a penalty of -2 to their Morale scores (though this will not affect creatures having Morale of 12).

It is not possible to retain the knowledge of more than one creature, nor can more than one person benefit from the magic of a specific Field Guide; as soon as any character (including the original reader) reads from the book, any bonuses currently in effect are canceled.

Further, the magic of a Field Guide is sometimes dangerous. Each time the book is read from, the reader has a 25% chance to become obsessed with the creature type he or she has studied. Obsessed characters will do anything to be transformed into the target creature type. Removing the obsession requires casting remove curse on the book itself, which runs a 65% chance of destroying it. While obsessed, the knowledge of the creature type remains with the afflicted character indefinitely and no other character may benefit from the book (i.e. reading it has no effect at that point).
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Re: Arthander's Field Guides

Post by Dimirag »

Pretty cool!
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/