Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 2

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
BruceRipple

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide 2

Post by BruceRipple »

Here is my process, if it helps at all:

1. I draw in pencil on white card stock, then I use archival ink pens to ink it in black.
2. I scan the image in black-white (no grey just yet) at 600 dpi. The pencil lines don’t survive a b/w scan!
3. I open it in Photoshop, and THEN convert my b/w image to greyscale. Photoshop won’t let you do layers with a b/w bitmap image.
4. I copy the image to a new layer and change the layer style to MULTIPLY.
5. I create a new layer beneath that one with a white fill. So it’s original image, white layer, and then image copy with Multiply.
6. I do all my grey coloring on that white layer.
7. One I’m satisfied (giggity) I change the image resolution to 300 dpi.
8. I then save the finished product as a jpeg.

I deviate from Sol’s comment a LITTLE. If you scan and save at a high enough resolution, a b/w piece will look fantastic in print - even if when you zoom in it looks pixelated. However if you try and blow up a low resolution image in b/w, yes that will look awful! Instead of messing with the threshold, curves, or levels, I would recommend physically retracing your art with a black pen or sharpie and then use my method - if you WANT to! I’ve had to do this with other art from time to time. And while it’s a huge pain in the dick to “start over” so to speak, I’m always glad I did when all is said and done!
BruceRipple

Post by BruceRipple »

bear.jpg
bear.jpg (911.03 KiB) Viewed 5342 times
syrinx.jpg
syrinx.jpg (353.27 KiB) Viewed 5342 times
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Re-uploaded with coldrage's redone artwork; I think just the Fool's Idol illustration needs revising. Yes the flow is broken right now, will be fixed next release.
BruceRipple

Post by BruceRipple »

Once you get everything spaced how you like it, just let me know if you need some filler art to fill up some glaring white spaces! If you put flow and function first I can come in behind you and fill the gaps in!

I think this is going to be a beeeeeautiful book!
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I'm not worried about finalizing the flow yet, not while Bruce and others are still submitting artwork.

That being said, re-uploaded r25 with a few column tweaks. Also re-sized a couple images to fill the column width better.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Personally, I would love to see the occasional full-page or half-page art piece in the Field Guide 2. In fact, some of the art within the FG1 was designed as full-page art, but has been shrunk to fit in columns with the relevant monster entry (for instance, there is a battle scene against a Lich).
Would love to see the art given more focus... so many good pieces.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Aaaannd here is one: the Bloodshroud, hope is good enough, if that's the case I'll send you the original scan to either of you Solo or Chii
bloodshroud - mini.jpg
bloodshroud - mini.jpg (31.32 KiB) Viewed 5272 times
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
BruceRipple

Post by BruceRipple »

bigone.jpg
bigone.jpg (3.93 MiB) Viewed 5431 times
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

chiisu81 is spot on here. BFRPG is a collaborative group that has created some phenomenal work. I have seen ideas that were just skin and bones concepts eventually fleshed out with community input into tight playable supplements. No one should get discouraged about submitting material. Of course, not everything ends up on the downloads page or in print. In fact, the vast majority of BFRPG material is on the showcase and will never see print or the downloads page.

And like chiisu81 also said, the art forum has people's personal art threads where they can post just to thrill the rest of us with awesome content or to get reviews and advise. I see it like the workshop pages where people first create user supplements and build it up from there.
Fraetor

Post by Fraetor »

How would people here recommend handling the damage line of the Corpse Abomination's stats.
Corpse Abom Stats.png
Corpse Abom Stats.png (20.76 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
What I believe to be correct would be writing it as:[/color]
Damage: 1d6/1d6/1d6, 1d8/1d8/1d8 or 2d8/2d8/2d8
This does not, however, fit within the table, while what is there at present is unclear as to whether each of the bludgeon attacks takes one of the damage values so that all three are used.

I don't know how to handle this and would like some recommendation.