Saving Throw Options

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Saving Throw Options

Post by Dimirag »

I used a 16-14-13-11 progression for the values on each class (worst, bad, good, best), I ended up using:
Save-Best-Good-Bad-Worst
Fortitude-Fighter-Cleric-Thief-Magic User
Reflex-Thief-Fighter-Cleric-Magic User
Will-Magic User-Cleric-Fighter-Thief (This one is slightly modified having the Cleric using a slower "Best" value because in 3.x he has 2 ST as "Good" and I wanted to give the poor mage a little edge.)

The thief has bad final scores due to the fact that when he reaches level 20 the other classes are at levels 17; 15 and 13 (for Clerics, Fighters and Magic Users) so those values make sure he does not become better than other at any levels in the Saves that other are suppose to be better at.

Same for the other classes, the values are compared on a direct XP approach to make sure that in a party with equal or similar XP no value is below of where is suppose to.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Bumped to R6 !

Corrected the single ST tables, it's now a real average of the 5 ST of the core rules. The new tables for each class for the 3 saves alternatives are now based on those averages. I don't think I will change stuff again in that supplement for a while.
The Angry Monk

Post by The Angry Monk »

Thank you! I've been looking for something like this for awhile. Cool!
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”
Hellbrandt

Post by Hellbrandt »

Has anyone used either of these Saving Throw alternative systems? I'm considering using them myself (most likely the single throw version)...

I find using the original 5 saving throw categories unintuitive... they're handy when a published adventure tells you exactly which one to use, but otherwise I struggle deciding which one to use. My brain is far happier with the idea of a a single saving throw...

How does it work in practice though? Any insights or observations appreciated.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Hellbrandt wrote:Has anyone used either of these Saving Throw alternative systems? I'm considering using them myself (most likely the single throw version)...

I find using the original 5 saving throw categories unintuitive... they're handy when a published adventure tells you exactly which one to use, but otherwise I struggle deciding which one to use. My brain is far happier with the idea of a a single saving throw...

How does it work in practice though? Any insights or observations appreciated.
I tested up to around level 4 in a campaign around 1 year ago. Make some spells/traps better, some worse. Nothing gamebreaking, at lower levels at least.

S&W is similiar to BFRPG and use single ST and have never read anything bashing that for balance reason.

Also, one trick I've been suggested for using the 5 standard ST is to start by the end and check out what is causing the effect : Is it a spell ? No. Is it a (or similar to a) Dragon Breath ? No. And so on.
Hellbrandt

Post by Hellbrandt »

In the end I decided to go with the single saving throw option. Three sessions in and it works fine.. there may have been edge cases where a roll may have succeeded under the 5 categories, but I think that's a small price to pay for the simplicity. There have been no complaints from the players either, I think they like the simplicity of it as well.
Cumbana820

Post by Cumbana820 »

Question: I really love this supplement and plan on trying out both save styles very soon. I am genuinely interested in the thinking behind the single savings throw from a game development standpoint. I looked at it compared to S&W and, with the systems being so similar, was curious about why the progressions are different. Now, the obvious answer is they are different systems, which is fine(plus other nuance). But I am curious on how supplements like this get developed. Does it have to do with the fact that certain races are granted bonuses in BFRPG?Something else? I know S&W and BFRPG are very similar in a lot of aspects and was wondering what would be the difference if I used the S&W single save progression in my BFRPG game vs. the one from this supplement.

Thanks and great work on this!!! :D
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The author hasn't been around for a time maybe this can give you something close to an answer.
mTeasdale wrote: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:37 pm For the single ST tables, it won't be necessary, because the numbers are the average of the 5 saving throws per class. But doing it would probably show that clerics have better ST than the Fighter for much of the progression.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Cumbana820

Post by Cumbana820 »

Dimirag wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:40 pm The author hasn't been around for a time maybe this can give you something close to an answer.
mTeasdale wrote: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:37 pm For the single ST tables, it won't be necessary, because the numbers are the average of the 5 saving throws per class. But doing it would probably show that clerics have better ST than the Fighter for much of the progression.
Have you played with the 3 saves version? I saw you posted up your own. Wondering if you thought ti went well for BFRPG. I feel like it is, along with the single save, so much more intuitive. For the single save I was just wondering if I can copy the progression from S&W and have no problem
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

I have played a few solo games using the 3 Save option and it worked find, a little faster I would say because I found it easier to apply your attribute bonus to Fort/Ref/Will saves sicne it's obvious. But sometimes I can't remember what attribute bonus to apply to the traditional saves. For instance, do I add my Int bonus to save vs. wands? I usually have to stop to look those up for some reason.