Pyromancer Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Pyromancer Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

Post your comments here for the Pyromancer Supplement.

https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=10
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
crazycrypt

Re: Pyromancer Supplement

Post by crazycrypt »

Please post up comments, I know it needs work as we have never done anything like this.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Given the hands-on experience with this class (by Solomoriah), and a pretty clear assessment that there are serious balance issues... this particular Supplement ought to be removed (sent back to forums). Perhaps somebody might give it another try some time in the future.

I personally like the idea of themed casters, but in this case, I think the idea is better served by cosmetic changes to things. For instance:
charm person - caster's eyes seem to burn with an inner flame... otherwise same.
floating disk - floating disk of smoldering coal like substance, falls to ash at the end of the spell duration.
Magic Missile - small ball of flame streaks to target (fire damage instead of generic magical force, otherwise same)
Ice Storm - fiery rain of flaming objects (change to fire damage)

minor changes of damage type, and otherwise just cosmetic changes to spells that otherwise might not have any other connection to fire/flame.

Would be rather easy to likewise create a Cryo-mancer (cold), Tera-mancer (stone mage), Aqua-mancer (water spells), etc. all mostly cosmetic.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
JakeCWolf

Post by JakeCWolf »

So just curious, is the old Pyromancer Supplement still lying around anywhere? I know it was broke as fudge but I'm curious to take a look at it's contents, see if anything in it could be salvaged for a more balanced iteration down the line.
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Correct link added to first post.
PapersAndPaychecks

Post by PapersAndPaychecks »

AS&SH has quite a decent stab at a pyromancer, and a cryomancer as well.
JakeCWolf

Post by JakeCWolf »

I do have to agree with Smoot in that make a themed Elementalist who's abilities change in flavor depending on what element he or she chooses to bond with is very intriguing idea, name wise I'd go with something like Pyromancer (Fire), Hydromancer (Water), Aeromancer (air), and Geomancer (Earth).

You cold give each ability they cast a special "on hit chance" to cause a status unique to the element, Fire would have a chance to cause a foe to catch fire, Air could give a chance to push back foes, Earth could knock them down, Water could chill them.
pinewood

Post by pinewood »

That is a really good idea. I'm excited to see where it leads.
MichaelK579

Post by MichaelK579 »

The spell info for "Athame of Fire" noted it is a "Pyromancer 2" spell when it is 1st level.