AA2 Adventure Anthology 2

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Adventure Anthology 2

Post by Solomoriah »

Just lost track of it. I'll try to get a new release done soon.

Not feeling well right now.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

Oh. Sorry.
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, I've imported it into my copy of AA2. A few questions and comments:

1. Only boldface equipment items if they're magical. I generally don't capitalize equipment items either.

2. Why are the goblins in "The Canyon and the Camp" sorted with least hit points first?

3. Why do those goblins have Mv 60' (20')? Armored goblins should be Mv 20', and given the AC 14, I'm assuming they're armored. I've applied the correction to AA2.

4. Don't click the boldface button on SubHeadings. They're set in SoutaneBlack, which is already as bold as it needs to be... they get puffy and swollen-looking.

5. In the intro, Carthose gives the PCs 5 bags of holding to bring the parts home, but Efeynulla also has 5 bags of holding. This means the PCs will end up with 5 bags of holding if they succeed at the adventure... egad.

6. The premise seems a bit odd. A siege engine is really not intrinsically expensive, in the sense that you buy the parts from an expert vendor of such things... you build the thing close to the enemy and haul it into range with horses, or with manpower if horses aren't available. A trebuchet in particular is a really simple thing, a weight-driven hurling device with a small number of large parts. Really large, too large for even one timber to fit into a bag of holding. A catapult is a spring-driven hurling device, usually powered by twisted ropes, and a ballista is a different concept with a similar execution; the parts for both are perhaps a bit less massive, but parts for a catapult would not fit into a bag of holding, and I'm pretty sure all the parts for a ballista wouldn't either.

Number 6 is the killer here. The adventure doesn't make sense. It's a standard "get the mcguffin" plot, and there's nothing wrong with that, but the mcguffin in this one is impractical.
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

I'll correct the first several things. They were merely technical mistakes.

As for the Bags of Holding. This adventure was originally written for BECMI, and set in a very high magic world (actually the official BECMI world)

The Siege Engine parts weren't meant to be siege engine parts. They were originally sky ship (huge magical flying ships) parts. This is another BECMI creation. I guessed that you wouldn't care for those, so I changed them out for the closest thing in Basic Fantasy that I could think of.

If you don't want to use the adventure, that's fine. It was written some time ago, and it isn't my best one, I'm sure. I can attempt to convert another one of my adventures to Basic Fantasy, or I can write a new one.

Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Or we can come up with a different mcguffin and keep the rest of the adventure as is. It's not bad, actually. Now that I know it was a BECMI adventure, I understand the movement rate thing on the goblins.

Anyone have a suggestion for something the bad guy stole from the merchant?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

How about the pieces of an ancient magical statue?
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

See Solo, I also considered changing it to spell components, but then I realized that those didn't make sense either.

But what about materials necessary to create a magical construct? Say a golem? Those are expensive and heavy I'm sure. Just an idea.

Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yeah, that would work!

Something rare and expensive, but not cash-equivalent (no gems etc.)
-1warrior

Post by -1warrior »

That's a bit tricky. How about a rare type of stone. But one that is only used in magical creations and such. To prevent the PCs from getting an ideas. ;)

Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

How about buckets of magic clay? Heavy, not easily turned into money, but valuable to the right person.