Villsvins Castle

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Villsvins Castle

Post by Solomoriah »

EDIT: Per our usual procedure, I'm uploading the documents to this post.

... I'm getting started on my next adventure. It may be too big for AA2. Here's the ground level map of my dragon-infested Villsvins Castle:

https://mapmatic.basicfantasy.org/index ... &mapid=381

It's a big picture... click the link to see it.
Attachments
Secret-of-Villsvins-Castle-r2.pdf
(470.12 KiB) Downloaded 588 times
Secret-of-Villsvins-Castle-r2.odt
(283.52 KiB) Downloaded 437 times
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Re: Adventure Anthology 2

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:... I'm getting started on my next adventure. It may be too big for AA2. Here's the ground level map of my dragon-infested Villsvins Castle:

http://www.basicfantasy.org/mapmatic2.c ... &mapid=381

It's a big picture... click the link to see it.
Is that 5' or 10' grid? Looks like the front door ought to be bigger, but I think this is more of a factor of the scale of the outer walls being so thick. Also looks like the scale of the circle that overlaps the wall sections (the inner arc) of each of your round towers, is off a bit. It does not quite line up where one would expect it.

Those issues noted, it looks like a really cool layout. I like it. Do you have upper/lower areas drawn out yet?
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Nice map!
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

SmootRK wrote:Is that 5' or 10' grid? Looks like the front door ought to be bigger, but I think this is more of a factor of the scale of the outer walls being so thick.
10' squares. The rooms are big.
SmootRK wrote:Also looks like the scale of the circle that overlaps the wall sections (the inner arc) of each of your round towers, is off a bit. It does not quite line up where one would expect it.
Probably a MapMatic glitch. I fix those with Gimp when I publish a module.
SmootRK wrote:Those issues noted, it looks like a really cool layout. I like it. Do you have upper/lower areas drawn out yet?
Thank you. No, I don't have those areas done, but it shouldn't take long to do the upper levels (just clone the map and go).
Dimirag wrote:Nice map!
Thank you!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Never mind about the glitch, it's not MapMatic's fault, it's mine. If you look again you'll see they're fixed.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I see what you fixed. I am speaking of the circle arcs that overlap each corner tower with the right angle interior walls. That arc does not match the rest of the circle of those areas. Not sure if I am explaining the locations well enough. My eyes seem to be drawn to those oddities in this map; it might not seem so apparent to someone until they see what I am noticing. That little arc should line up to the underlying grid-lines.

It could be a sort of optical issue, than a real mis-alignment, and in fact on closer inspection I think it is just a optical oddity. Easiest solution would be to simply remove that little arc that is drawn over those right angle wall pieces.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

No, it shouldn't line up to the gridlines. That curved bit is the complement to the pieces in the squares across the tower in both directions, and they don't line up to the gridlines either, because they shouldn't. If I complete the circle, you can see it.

Heck, let's just do that. Take a look at the upper-left tower now... I dropped a tower side piece in to complete the curve. I'll take it out later.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Yes. I can see that the circle arc is actually correct. It seems to be just an optical quality (a sort of optical illusion of perspective) that makes it look off. I still think the little arc that is drawn onto those right angle wall units should be omitted, fixing the issue.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Updated the ground level map a bit, and started on the upper level (but interior walls are mostly missing as yet). This castle was "mothballed" by the Baron of Villsvins, who preferred to live in a mansion in town instead of a drafty castle perched on a rock. His grandson has decided he wants to live there, but there's a problem... the castle now has a blue dragon living in the upper level, and hobgoblins in the lower level. Plus whatever monsters I sprinkle into the dark corners.

Ground Level
https://www.basicfantasy.org/mapmatic2. ... &mapid=381

Upper Level
https://www.basicfantasy.org/mapmatic2. ... &mapid=382
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Villsvins Castle

Post by Solomoriah »

Here's a bit that will go into the introduction:
Blayves the Third, Baron of Villsvins was a portly man with heavy jowls and beady eyes the color of cold steel. "That castle on the peak? It's the castle of my family. The proper home of my family, even. My grandfather Drogo decided he didn't want to live there... that this cozy mansion in town was more to his liking. So he ordered the castle closed up, and he moved here with my father and aunts.

"My father never argued with him about it, but he told me in private that he planned to reclaim the castle when he ascended to his father's place. Sadly, that never happened. He died while hunting stag, killed by an alicorn of all things." The Baron paused to take a long pull at his mug. Wiping his face on his sleeve, he continued, "I mean to reopen the castle. I sent men to look into it, and they returned with their tails between their legs... the castle is infested with hobgoblins, and they say a dragon lives in the Baronial chambers." He slammed his mug down on the table, droplets of beer splashing into the air. "Intolerable!"

A servant nervously wiped up the spilled beer. Ignoring him, the Baron continued, "My sons and I are fearsome warriors in our own right. We could clear the whole place ourselves. But sadly, affairs of state prevent us from taking the time to do it. I've heard that you adventurers are a valiant lot, so I'd like you to handle the matter for me, if you can. I don't care if you kill them or just convince them to move away... clear the castle of monsters, and I'll reward you handsomely. Five thousand gold pieces for removing the dragon and hobgoblins, and another hundred gold pieces for each additional monster you slay. Besides that, whatever treasure you can wrest from the monster's grasp is yours, free and clear of taxes. Most of our family treasure should have been brought when Grandfather moved here, but if you should find any hidden treasure rooms he didn't know about, you may keep a quarter for yourselves as a finder's fee."

He leaned back in his chair, his eyes glittering. "What do you say? Are you heroes enough to do this?"