Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: BFRPG Field Guide (monsters)

Post by Solomoriah »

I just happen to know that JN2 has more new monsters than any two other Basic Fantasy modules put together...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Not sure if you wanted this here or under the product releases. Was perusing the field guide looking for a good undead 'boss' when I noticed you have Giant Praying Mantis spelled Giant Preying Mantis. I know its a giant so 'preying' may be more appropriate but the real insect is known as Praying, not Preying.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

dymondy2k wrote:Not sure if you wanted this here or under the product releases. Was perusing the field guide looking for a good undead 'boss' when I noticed you have Giant Praying Mantis spelled Giant Preying Mantis. I know its a giant so 'preying' may be more appropriate but the real insect is known as Praying, not Preying.
Good Catch, will fix in my file asap. Still it will be a while until the new release is ready... my efforts have stalled lately with the hectic holidays, but I hope to get back to this in earnest, along with my other partially complete projects.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I am well into the "B's" with re-writes of descriptions, and trying to add appropriate art to the document when I come across something I can use. Thought I would share the progress and renew my request for artwork and contributions.

EDIT: been working rather diligently today... now into the "C's" so updating the pdf preview. Please note that entries after C do not reflect good layout... just where stuff is landing as I work from the front to the back of the document. Wonky layout will be corrected as I progress through the document.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Another little update to the files. Various edits and minor changes throughout, and major re-writes of monsters A thru D (still working on D monsters).

The major re-writes come from SRD monsters which mostly have power-levels that are amped up to match 3e power levels, for instance, the Delver is 32+ HD... giving these a re-do to drop them down considerably. Otherwise, re-writes are really more of a effort to correct grammar, minimize description, and re-organize the information into a consistent framework.

Please let me know if anything I have worked on seems amiss or if I have produced new errors that need to be corrected.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I have been running across some of the monsters from the SRD that are just ... eewwwhh, bad. Devourer (undead)?? Digester is a little better. I just don't really get some of the 3e monsters that were created for that game, for no reason other than they needed some critters of X-power level.

There will be more, I'm sure...

Anyhow, Solomoriah, what do you think if I make Digester have Nazgorian traits just to mix it up some? Seems alien enough to fit.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Sure, I'd love to see your take on it.

Umbriel. I've been trying to remember the name of the third plane from my campaigns, and that's it. Antigaea, Nazgor, and Umbriel.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Nazgorian, Digester
Armor Class: 17
Hit Dice: 12*
No. of Attacks: 1 claw + special
Damage: 1d8 + special
Movement: 60'
No. Appearing: 1 Wild 1d3 Lair 1d3+3
Save As: Fighter: 12
Morale: 7
Treasure Type: Nil
XP: 1,975

Digesters are bizarre otherworldly beings from Nazgor that seem to only exist to hunt and eat. They are about 5 feet tall, 7 feet long from snout to tail, and superficially similar to bipedal dinosaurs except for an odd aperture on their head that sprays digestive juices at prey. Digesters do not have discernible eyes, locating prey by sound (treat like 60' darkvsion), so silence effectively blinds them.

A digester attacks by spraying forth a gout of acid in a 20 foot cone causing 8d8 damage to everything in the area. The digester can spray again every 1d4 rounds and otherwise attacks with one hind-claw for 1d8 damage.

Digesters, like other outsiders from Nazgor, suffer damage when exposed to sunlight or dry air. Sunlight alone causes 1d4 points of damage per hour, as does dry air; exposure to both causes 1d8 points of damage per hour.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I like!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:I like!
Yes, it seems the Nazgor idea can make some of the weirder monsters make a little more sense (in a weird sort of way).

Digester all by itself is a wacky creature... make it come from a strange realm of damp and dark creatures, and presto it fits the milieu better.

I still dont know what to make of the Devourer creature though. It seems like something just arbitrarily made up, then made undead just to fit some open niche in the 3.x rules. I may just drop it unless I can find some context in it, just skipping it for now. Anyone with thoughts about this monster... is it useful? is there some historical/legend where it comes from? does anyone else like it? Feel free to give feedback on that one.