Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide

Post by Solomoriah »

Today I ran my still-under-revision Ruby Mountain dungeon for my players. It now has Thulid in it, and I looked in the Field Guide to refresh my memory on the details of their spawning.

The details weren't there. Now, this is a monster I created, so I knew the rules existed. Where were they?

A bit of searching led me to the original release of the Thulid, in R2 of the Almanack. The material there runs across two pages; what's in the Field Guide is just the material from the first page.

Gah.

So since the Almanack was recalled and the Field Guide took its place, the Thulids have been missing a big, important piece.

I'll be uploading a new Field Guide release in about two weeks (no point giving away any secrets to my players before next session). IN the meantime, if there was a reason we omitted this material, someone might refresh my memory...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Weird. Actually the Field Guide pulled the entry from the old Monster Supplement, not the old Almanac itself, so I am unsure where the omission would have come from. But if there was an omission otherwise, it would have been my fault... and unintentional. :?
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The text was changed in another way. The original version said:
A helm of telepathy adds an additional +4 to saving throws, and when such saves are made the attacking thulid is stunned for 3 turns.
But the Field Guide R27 says:
When such saves are successful the attacking thulid is stunned for 3 turns.
This changes their combat situation dramatically.

I altered it in play, but not back to what the original version said as I didn't remember it exactly. Gah, again. Fortunately, I'm not far enough off to change the results.

As I said, I'll be posting a new R28 in about two weeks (our next game session). No point publishing the details before then.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

R28 has now been posted by Solo.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Thanks for noticing.

If you get the urge to update the Release Announcements thread (not now, I'm getting it this time), take a look at this page:

http://basicfantasy.org/posts.html

You can copy and paste directly from there, copying the new items only of course. I just forgot...
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Nothing looks out of place with added text, R28 looks good for print.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yeah, no, not so much.

While running CS1 Castle by the Sea: Castle of the Unknown today, I noticed that the saves for the Giant Screaming Tarantula are written out wrong:

save vs. poison

instead of the correct

save vs. Poison

No idea how many other monsters are wrong this way.

Also, the Jack O'Lantern is maybe a bit tough. AC 17 and an attack that basically always hits (a breath weapon with no limit to the number of times it can be used). I'm thinking maybe drop the AC to 15. Thoughts?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I'm not seeing that in the PDF, and ran a search in the ODT and didn't see it there either. But, running a search on all saves did find some inconsistencies, so I've corrected those along with reducing the JackO'Lantern AC, so will email you R29.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I was using my printed Field Guide; I'm not sure what release it was.
quozl

Post by quozl »

Something's off in the latest version. There's a blank page between the listing of 6 hit dice creatures and 9 hit dice creatures.