Monsters as Player Characters

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Monsters as Player Characters

Post by Solomoriah »

Post your comments here for the Monsters as Player Characters supplement by Sidney Parham, Omer Golan-Joel, R. Kevin Smoot, and steveman.

EDIT: Moved working draft to this post for easy location.
Info from latest posts:
some tweaking was done and a few small details added, so here is a new draft of the document. There is substantial white space between some portions. I am hoping that Solo will allow me to drop in the art corresponding to each monster into this document, but I am not ready to deal with the art for now.

EDIT: a few additional changes to incorporate a slight modification from the Magic-User/Thief (as presented in the Gnome Supplement). Some Language tweaks throughout as well... realizing this is one of those documents (years old) that utilizes a certain style that is irksome to Solomoriah (use of "they" when singular terms might be more proper). While I am in revision mode, I might as well see that the language usage is improved a bit. This may take a little while to fix completely.

EDIT (12/29/13): A round of editing the basic language use, including the latest ideas for Combination Class.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#monstersaspcs
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Re: Monsters as Player Characters: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by SmootRK »

I was reviewing these races for use in my kiddie campaign. I have begun a 'almost from scratch' re-working of some of these... and I think I am going to continue until I get all these races re-done. I am using a slightly different approach, and I am trying to apply a more consistent format to all the entries. I even re-wrote the Combination Class material (tweaking the text, combining info from the core book, gnome supplement, and new material to cover Witch Doctors (Cleric/Magic-User combo class) which appear in humanoid cultures).

I will be referencing the 1st release at times to see where some decisions were made, but mostly just as a tool fro comparison. At times, I may look to 1e or 2e monster descriptions for some extra inspiration. Overall, I just was not satisfied with the way these races came out, especially how the initial levels or effective levels for some races were dealt with. I hope to get one or more races redone each day that I can sit down for a period of time.

For the sake of demonstrating the differences, here are a couple of the re-done races. Look specifically to how I approached the Bugbear hit dice with some 'pre-levels'.

Bugbear
Description: Bugbears look like huge, hairy goblins, standing about 6 feet tall. Their eyes are usually a darkish brown color and they move very quietly. They are wild and relatively fearless, and bully smaller humanoids whenever possible.

Restrictions: A Bugbear may become a Fighter, Cleric, or Thief. Bugbear Clerics are called Shamans. When permitted by the Game Master, Bugbears may be allowed to advance in certain optional classes such as Assassins, Rangers, or other appropriate choices. Likewise, a Game Master may exclude certain choices such as Paladins. A Bugbear character must have minimum Strength score of 13 and Dexterity score of 9. Bugbears are limited to a maximum of 15 in both Intelligence and Charisma.

Special Abilities: Bugbears prefer to ambush opponents if they can. When hunting, they often send scouts ahead of the main group. Bugbear attacks are coordinated, and their tactics are sound if not brilliant. They are able to move in nearly complete silence, surprising opponents on 1-3 on 1d6. Bugbears with class-based stealth abilities (such as Thief) have a bonus of +20% on Move Silently checks.

Like most dark dwelling races, Bugbears have Darkvision out to 60 feet.

Thief Ability Adjustments: Roguish Bugbears have a +20% bonus to Move Silently and despite their size get a bonus of +10% on Hide checks

Initial Levels: Bugbears begin play at negative 3000 experience points with 1d8 for hit points and an attack bonus of +1, but they do not have any stealth bonus (not learned yet). When they achieve 1500 experience points they get another 1d8 hit points and another point of attack bonus (+2 total). While in this immature state they can only utilize leather armor and make saves as zero level fighters. Upon achieving zero experience points, they must choose their career path (class) as a first level character and begin to abide by various class based restrictions. They roll using their new class-based hit die but retain previous hit points and attack bonuses (+2 bonus is added to attack bonus). At this point they have learned to be stealthy as well. When subjected to spells or effects where level or hit dice is a consideration, add two to their effective level.

Saving Throws: Bugbears gain no special bonuses to their saving throw rolls.
------------------------------

Goblin
Description: Goblins are small, wicked humanoids that favor ambushes, overwhelming odds, dirty tricks, and any other edge they can devise. An adult goblin stands 3 to 3½ feet tall and weigh 40 to 45 pounds. Its eyes are usually bright and crafty-looking, varying in color from red to yellow. A goblin’s skin color ranges from yellow through any shade of orange to a deep red; usually all members of a single tribe are about the same color. Goblins wear clothing of dark leather, tending toward drab, soiled-looking colors.

Restrictions: Goblins may become any of the standard classes. Goblin Clerics are called Shamans, and on occasion one may encounter a Goblin Witch-Doctor which is simply a Cleric/Magic-User combination class. When permitted by the Game Master, Goblins may be allowed to advance in certain optional classes such as Assassins, Rangers, Grave Masters, or other appropriate choices. Likewise, a Game Master may exclude certain choices such as Paladins. A Goblin character must have minimum Dexterity score of 9. Goblins do not have great fortitude, and they are limited 16 in Strength and Constitution. In addition to the Constitution limitation, Goblins must subtract one point from every hit die roll, down to a minimum of 1 hit point per die. Goblins may not use Large weapons, and must wield Medium weapons with both hands. Likewise Goblins must utilize smaller sized armor.

Special Abilities: Like Halflings, Goblins gain a +2 bonus to their Armor Class when attacked in melee by creatures larger than man-sized.

Goblins are crafty and mechanically inclined, and notice secret doors as well as an Elf (1-2 on 1d6 rather than the usual 1 on 1d6). Likewise, Goblins are so observant that he or she has a 1 on 1d6 chance to find a secret door with just a cursory look. Like Dwarves, Goblins are able to detect slanting passages, traps, shifting walls and new construction on a roll of 1-2 on 1d6; a search must be performed before this roll may be made.
Like most dark dwelling races, Goblins have Darkvision out to 60 feet.

Thief Ability Adjustments: Roguish Goblins have a +10% bonus to Open Locks and Finding/Removing Traps.
Saving Throws: Goblins gain no special bonuses to their saving throw rolls.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

These are very interesting to me. The Bugbear sounds especially interesting to play as does a Witch Doctor combination class.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

quick update - I have finished Bugbears, Centaurs, Gnolls, and Goblins. I expect Hobgoblins, Kobolds, and Orcs to be fairly easy (have one or less hit dice, and being essentially the same power level as traditional races). In addition to those, I will need to address Lizard Men, Ogres, and Troglodytes. After that I may proactively deal with some options from the upcoming Monster Field Guide (a few of these are already done in the "New Races Supplement").
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

I think it is great that you are undertaking all this and helping so much, I love seeing things getting done with the game and evolving.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

crazycrypt wrote:I think it is great that you are undertaking all this and helping so much, I love seeing things getting done with the game and evolving.
Thanks. Having people express interest and opinions on thing helps to keep us working on stuff. It helps that my wife is out of town, kids are out of school, and I am trying diligently to save money by staying home when possible. Of course, these factors will change over time. :?

And, Happy Birthday. I just noticed.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Here is my finished draft (but still technically a rough draft). Look through it and feel free to critique it. After I polish it up, I will look to adding more to it... perhaps more races should be included? It is zipped because pdf is not allowed as upload.

Edit - a few more tweaks and changes... this is better.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I tweaked and tweaked and tweaked and tweaked this Supplement... I think you could probably mark this as "playtest" (instead of "under construction"), as I don't expect much more going on with it. Perhaps once the Monster Field Guide gets more complete I can re-visit this supplement and enter in all the viable races from there as well.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Has anyone playtested any of these races? Just wondering if any tweaks might be in order.
MacLeod

Post by MacLeod »

If I get a chance to, I'll playtest some of these races. :) Don't know when that'll be though...