New Races: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

New Races: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

Post your comments here for R. Kevin Smoot's New Races supplement.

https://www.basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#newraces
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Re: New Races: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by SmootRK »

Because of artwork by Shonuff forthcoming, I am in the process of prepping a release 2 of this supplement. This was one of my first original supplements made for BFRPG... I can tell from my writing and punctuation. :shock:

Minor changes throughout, artwork, and kappa get overhaul and new name.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Shonuff

Post by Shonuff »

Feedback of this project:

The art is FANTASTIC!

lol seriously tho, i had a blast drawing these, can't wait to do the other monster races player supplement.
SmootRK

Carcharians

Post by SmootRK »

From a Blog Post:
New Race: Carcharians
Life as an ambitious shark

Description: The terror of the high seas, often mistaken for a wereshark fully transmogrified into his beast form, the carcharian's reputation is that of a ruthless pirate of the seas and scourge of the docks. Standing as tall and as muscular as an orc, few wish to pick a fight with such a beast. Although they lack the necessary gills to breath underwater, they are still fine swimmers, with extra sacs in their lungs allowing them to breath longer underwater over a normal party member.

Carcharians in their natural habitat tend to be wild creatures who live on islands and devour both fish and foolish men who venture on their shores. As colonization and interaction increase, several carcharian groups settled, enjoying the life as brutes on the docks rather than devouring people. They are predominately meat eaters and while the law might make it illegal to just eat a random person, don't be surprised if they use those jaws in combat to take a bite out of someone.

Typical Classes: Fighter, Barbarian, Thief, Assassin, Cleric, Druid

If cleric, a carcharian will typically worship a water based god and reject others.

Special Abilities: Darkvision 60 ft', they gain a swim space equal to half their current land speed without any special check, bite attack 1d6, and double their constitution score for the purposes of holding breath underwater.

Save Bonuses: +2 vs. Death Ray and Poison
SmootRK

Zif

Post by SmootRK »

and another from same Blogger:
The Zif

Life as a happy snail
Description: Hailing from swamp regions, and often on the borders of halfling villages are the kind but shy zif. Zif appear as dwarf sized snails with a pair of spindly arms sticking out from their slender bodies. A nomadic race, the zif take pride in carrying most of their belongings on their shells. Indeed, zif find domesticity of a house confining and prefer to range throughout the swamp living off plants, some of which are poisonous to other races are taken as a delicacy to Zif.

Zif tend to avoid contact with outside life, except for those rare zif that have what is viewed as a "mad streak" in trying to make friends with the "drylanders". Though they are shy, they have been known to help stranded travelers in need, especially halflings, perhaps due to halfling size making the appear less threatening. While zif do not always linger in an area, they have been known to appear frequently along halfling border towns- trading plants and herbs for supplies, or swapping stories before vanishing back into the swamp.

Recommended Classes: Zif are typically magic-users (especially sorcerers from the supplements), druids, rangers, or fighters. Zif typically do not practice religion, except for nature worship as a druid, they lack a want to stay in the monastery like a monk, and thievery is something of an alien concept to zif. They don't like things stolen from them, why should they steal from others?

Magic is typically passed from an elder zif to a young apprentice as they range together, but it also can be inherited through the blood due to the unique properties of a swamp.

Special Abilities: Their sucker foot allows them climb sheer surfaces as a Thief of the same level. Those zif who break taboo (a very rare thing) and try at being a thief gain +10% (almost guarantee they can climb a sheer surface).

Their shell is quite hard to crack, giving them AC +4 versus back attacks.

Save Adjustments: +2 vs. Deathray or Poison; +2 vs. Paralysis and Petrification

Liabilities: Armor is an extra 10% as it has to be customized for a zif's body. Due to their suckerfoot they are treated as one armor category higher in movement speed. Thus an unarmored Zif is treated as wearing leather armor (thus a 30' move speed over 40').
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

By the way Smoot, r2 still haven't been uploaded in the downloads page.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Has it been sent to me? That's the only way it will happen, and I don't see it in my work queue.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I will try to get around to making it ready for email again. For the longest time I have been primarily focused upon my real-world work, and have had a few changes of computer gear over this time period as well. Even right now, my primary home computer is running the Windows10 Tech Preview, so I am hesitant to make efforts to import my files for any major work, lest they do something wacky and screw up my files or somehow make them inaccessible. That said, I did pick up a very cool USB Sata HD Dock, so I can theoretically pull my older hard drives and access it all as if on a external drive.... just have to get around to it.

I actually have several such files that could use a new release.
teaman

Post by teaman »

SmootK,

If you would like to include the Carven in your races document, that would be all right with me.

If you want to keep it to the ones you already have in there, or create yourself, that's fine too. Just offering.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

One of our blogger friends at it again, though I do not like the name.

Character: Flaptails, the Beaverkin

Description: About the size of cave dwelling dwarves are the river dwelling "flaptails". Hirsute humanoids that are commonly associated with beavers. Their fur color ranges from shades of brown or red, to grey with white spots. The grey is typically more common in older flaptails. Flaptails tend to be social, with a number of families living near and around a claimed pond or lake area that serves their homes, also known as lodges. Contrary to popular belief, flaptails do like to ask permission before constructing a damn if they're near a river, just be polite to their fellow humanoids.

Relations: Flaptails are known for their close association with halfling communities. It's not uncommon to see both flaptail and halfling crews working on the same barge. Halflings also depend on flaptails due to their impressive swimming skills in retrieving things from the river or assisting in overboard rescue.

Flaptails have the following traits: Bite Attack that deals d4 + Strength, a Swim speed equal to their land movement, they can hold their breath equal to twice their constitution score in rounds. +3 Death Ray or Poison, Paralysis or Petrify.

Typical Classes: Fighter, Druid, Thief, and Ranger