Quasi Classes: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: Quasi Classes: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by SmootRK »

SmootRK wrote:While the r2 stands... the intentions for r3 will be a bit of an overhaul of the system (as discussed in another thread). Mechanics will likely remain intact, but I will play around with the +xx% XP going instead to a static progression, or possibly combining it all into a alternate XP system (what can be found in my House-Rules document elsewhere)...

in that system, one can combination class a little more free-form... and it seems to work well.
Actively in the process of a re-design of these quasi-classes based upon XP progressions and working more like combo-classes in general. So far I am liking the resulting idea.

That said, does anyone have any new observations regarding these? Or, new quasi-class ideas that need to be made? The release 3 of this supplement will include a "Ranger" done as a quasi-class, Bard as a quasi-class, and I will try to fold in the "Confessor" quasi-class after I take steps to divorce it from its source material to avoid any copyright infringement... probably call it a "Compulsor". I am wanting to get an Acrobat quasi-class started as well.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
LibraryLass

Post by LibraryLass »

Well, my attention is grabbed.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

LibraryLass wrote:Well, my attention is grabbed.
You're the first to say something. Summer means slow forums. I will try to post my latest draft later today (still needs work).
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Has my interest as well. Quick ?: W/ the whole thing called Quasi Classes, is (quasi class) really needed after the name of each entry? Sorry if that seems nitpicking. Will def. take a closer read at next draft!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

chiisu81 wrote:Has my interest as well. Quick ?: W/ the whole thing called Quasi Classes, is (quasi class) really needed after the name of each entry? Sorry if that seems nitpicking. Will def. take a closer read at next draft!
My original doc had an assortment of these quasi-classes as well as subclasses. Have since removed the sub-classes but the general style convention seems appropriate to note differences between the options. It stuck.

I will put it up later. Out with kids now, replying via smartphone.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

OK, draft is up on the first post of this thread. Still needs work for the XP progressions, and still need to deal with Confessor which I did not get to yet. However, Guardian (ranger-esque abilities, based upon my Ranger as the template) was added... let me know what is thought of that portion (as this is a first stab at that one).
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

And the draft has the Confessor in it now, although renamed "Compulsor"... still not fully on-board with this name, but it suits the idea and is somewhat similar to the literary/tv original term... even if not really a true word. Compulsion does not actually have a correct term of "one who can cause compulsion".

Anyway, it is ready for some review, commentary, or even playtest. If anyone has any reflections on the XP progressions, I would greatly appreciate it. Right now, the idea is that those 1000 base XP progressions are going to be 1/2 the fighter amounts (or close to that). The 1500 listed is 75% of Fighter... but I am open to other lines of thinking for this.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

OK, Compulsor just sounds really lame to me, so switched it back to Confessor (though my new draft is not up yet). I added a section describing that no claim of ownership is intended; just a homage to the sources. I doubt it would ever come up, but if somebody from the author/publisher had issue with it, I would simply drop the idea from the document. I have seen plenty of other such imports into much more prominent game editions (fan-creations among them)... anybody seen Strider/Aragorn the "Ranger"?! or Balor? or Hobbits/Halflings?

Similarly, the Guardian (quasi-class version of a "ranger") was renamed to Hunter instead. I think that is better, as Guardian implies a more noble quality, while the quasi-class might be utilized by those who operate otherwise... even dudes like Half-Orcs or others might use this while hunting elves.

I hope to work on the XP tables more fully today. While they are initially based upon 1/2 of fighter, I may tweak the numbers to nice round figures in places through the progressions for a sense of "neatness".
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Updated the file on the first page. While I think it is finished for now, it could probably use a fresh pair of eyes to look it over for any typos or strange language use that continue to overlook due to the fact I did the writing.

3rd release is cleaned up with XP progressions instead of +x% nomenclature. Otherwise a few edits to the text here and there. I am very happy with the update and changes from the 2nd release. This may go to Solo to officially replace the prior version hosted on the downloads page.

The intro page is substantially longer to give a more complete explanation of the rationale and "how to" of quasi-classes.
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

SmootRK wrote:And the draft has the Confessor in it now, although renamed "Compulsor"... still not fully on-board with this name, but it suits the idea and is somewhat similar to the literary/tv original term... even if not really a true word. Compulsion does not actually have a correct term of "one who can cause compulsion".
Have you tried Compellor?
Go with a smile!