Realms of Wonder (not BFRPG compatible)

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Project 74 Supplement for BFRPG

Post by Solomoriah »

Just uploaded a new version. Still a long way from "done."

Realms of Wonder isn't supposed to feel like any edition, clone, etc. of the "original" RPG system. It doesn't have classes, for one thing. It doesn't have a "class" of clerics who heal people; that will be a combination of skills and some magic that regular magic-users may be able to learn.

I'm building a really simple magic system without a lot of detail to it. After it's well tested, I can add on the detail if I want to. I've stopped trying to build the last version and settled on creating the next.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

... and I just posted another Realms of Wonder update.

I think I need to be writing a short adventure for this game. Writing and then running such an adventure is the best way to find the holes in the rules.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I'll take a look at it as soon as I can
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Just pushed a new version out, and created a subdomain for it.

http://realmsofwonder.gonnerman.org

Also created a character sheet.
-1warrior

Project 74 Supplement for BFRPG

Post by -1warrior »

I like it. Very different feel to it, but still looks fun. Reminiscent of a stripped-down version of Rolemaster or MERP.
Magic Items... Sold Dirt Cheap!

My job is to archive all of Hyway's awesome parodies. ;)
Dimirag

Re: Realms of Wonder (not BFRPG compatible)

Post by Dimirag »

Some thoughts:

Ditch the skill ability arrangement, these way no ability will have more skills that any other and lest the players and GM to combine skills and abilities in different ways.

It says on the Agility description that is used for range combat, but it does not say that strength is used for melee combat (it says only in the combat section).

It says that Strength measures what weapon can be used, but no weapon has a STR requirement, only the armors do.

Replace the Attack Rating with a skill roll, it lets you use the skill more freely and even add skills like Backstabbing that allows for double damage or Assassination (double cost) that kills on a successful strike unless a ST is made.

What does "MVP" stands for?

Saving Throws are used to avoid bad things, and Ability Rolls are used to do things right? But avoiding unconsciousness (a bad thing) is rolled via an Ability Roll rather than a Saving Throw, same for surprise. Maybe the "Saving Throw is misleading for those accustomed to BF and similar games)

The parry action makes your weapon to function as a small shield, even if its a dagger or a two handed sword right? Whats the bonus received from a shields?

Would not be better to use Parry in the same manner as Dodge? You make an attack roll against the attack roll of your opponent. I know that the roll can yield a lower result than your Defense Rating, but the same goes to Dodge...
How about just adding your Dodge Skill instead of your Combat skill to your Defense Rating?
Parrying and Dodging should have some extra benefits as you lose your attack, specially Dodge as it makes you train in a second skill.
Maybe the "Conan way" its a better solution: You have Parry Defense and Dodge Defense and chose which use against attacks, ranged attacks can only be dodge. A shield gives its bonus on both Defenses. Going Full Offense or Full Defense gives you Advantage on the attacks rolls or Defense Rating. Hiding behind your shield gives you some Cover against missiles.

Why not use the endurance recovery rules for mana recovery?
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Dimirag wrote:Some thoughts:

Ditch the skill ability arrangement, these way no ability will have more skills that any other and lest the players and GM to combine skills and abilities in different ways.
Ack. I want to make sure the GM knows which ability is supposed to apply. Would a note that other abilities may be used be good enough? (Why do I feel like I wrote that already? I'll have to go look...)
Dimirag wrote:It says on the Agility description that is used for range combat, but it does not say that strength is used for melee combat (it says only in the combat section).
Probably I should fix that.
Dimirag wrote:It says that Strength measures what weapon can be used, but no weapon has a STR requirement, only the armors do.
Ah. Left over from the earlier version of the rules.
Dimirag wrote:Replace the Attack Rating with a skill roll, it lets you use the skill more freely and even add skills like Backstabbing that allows for double damage or Assassination (double cost) that kills on a successful strike unless a ST is made.
Hmm. I don't think I'm going to change how the rules read just yet, but I see your points. Let me muse on this bit.
Dimirag wrote:What does "MVP" stands for?
Most Valuable Player. It's a term from sports. I should probably write that out for non-American players.
Dimirag wrote:Saving Throws are used to avoid bad things, and Ability Rolls are used to do things right? But avoiding unconsciousness (a bad thing) is rolled via an Ability Roll rather than a Saving Throw, same for surprise. Maybe the "Saving Throw is misleading for those accustomed to BF and similar games)
Generally your statement is true, but the ability roll mechanic has a lower target and a steeper rise in probability that makes the ability score a lot more important. The game needs both mechanics... I learned that in Project 74.
Dimirag wrote:The parry action makes your weapon to function as a small shield, even if its a dagger or a two handed sword right? Whats the bonus received from a shields?
I need to give this more thought. A weapon used to parry should be able to fend off, at most, one attacker. Small shields should also be limited in capability also, whereas large one should defend against anyone in front of you or on the side where you carry the shield.
Dimirag wrote:Would not be better to use Parry in the same manner as Dodge? You make an attack roll against the attack roll of your opponent. I know that the roll can yield a lower result than your Defense Rating, but the same goes to Dodge...
The earlier version of the rules worked this way, but it bogged down combat. If you allow an "active" parry, you need to make shields use that instead of adding to DR (as it doesn't make sense the other way). Still, I'll give it some thought.
Dimirag wrote:How about just adding your Dodge Skill instead of your Combat skill to your Defense Rating?
When you Dodge, you're doing nothing else; I have no problem with allowing this as an active roll (as it is in the rules now). I want to give the dodging player some feeling that he or she has some control over the character's fate.
Dimirag wrote:Parrying and Dodging should have some extra benefits as you lose your attack, specially Dodge as it makes you train in a second skill.
Ooh, that's a good point. Should Dodging still be separate? The earlier rules made it easier to upgrade skills (maybe a bit too easy) so having it separate wasn't such a big deal.

Perhaps Dodging should use the Combat skill, unless another skill (Acrobatics, perhaps) is available at a higher rank.
Dimirag wrote:Maybe the "Conan way" its a better solution: You have Parry Defense and Dodge Defense and chose which use against attacks, ranged attacks can only be dodge. A shield gives its bonus on both Defenses. Going Full Offense or Full Defense gives you Advantage on the attacks rolls or Defense Rating. Hiding behind your shield gives you some Cover against missiles.
Hmm. Will think about this.
Dimirag wrote:Why not use the endurance recovery rules for mana recovery?
You mean, using Will as the active ability score but applying the Stun recovery rates? Or do you mean something else?

I really want to get this right; I'm not just saying "I'll think about it" and then blowing you off on the things above, I really do mean it. I've only been working on this game for 30 years... it's not like I know how it should work or anything.

ALSO... just uploaded R20, with more spell descriptions and rules for learning spells.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, after I posted that, I realized you found a mistake. Avoiding unconsciousness from Stun points was supposed to be a save, not an ability roll. Fixed for R21, along with the Strength text you called out.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Also coming in R21, a revision of the parrying rules. They now work nearly the same way I apply them in my BFRPG campaign... a weapon may act as a shield against a single attacker, while a shield of either size works against any number of opponents in front or on the shield side of the character. Small shields and parrying weapons add 1 to Defense Rating, while a large shield adds 2.

I might boost the benefits of a large shield against missile fire to +3 or even +4, but I will need to think that over first.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

... and I just looked over the rules and realized that the Stun recovery mechanic is a good fit for the Mana recovery rate as well, so I cloned the text and patched it up. Also in for R21.

Your real world initials are MS, right? I want to make sure I have the right name in the credits, and you know I can't remember.