Realms of Wonder (not BFRPG compatible)

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Realms of Wonder (not BFRPG compatible)

Post by Dimirag »

Yes, those are my initial, actually, M is my middle name (I don't like my first name :lol: ).

I'll download the R21 and take a look at it. Thanks for taking into consideration everything I've said.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hey, I just appreciate the feedback. I've often found your opinions useful.

Just threw in a parenthetical expansion of MVP.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Dimirag wrote: Some thoughts:

Ditch the skill ability arrangement, these way no ability will have more skills that any other and lest the players and GM to combine skills and abilities in different ways.
Solomoriah wrote: Ack. I want to make sure the GM knows which ability is supposed to apply. Would a note that other abilities may be used be good enough? (Why do I feel like I wrote that already? I'll have to go look...)
It would be of great help.
Dimirag wrote:Would not be better to use Parry in the same manner as Dodge? You make an attack roll against the attack roll of your opponent. I know that the roll can yield a lower result than your Defense Rating, but the same goes to Dodge...
Solomoriah wrote:The earlier version of the rules worked this way, but it bogged down combat. If you allow an "active" parry, you need to make shields use that instead of adding to DR (as it doesn't make sense the other way). Still, I'll give it some thought.
I was not saying to roll for each attack receive, just when choosing to parry, active blocking can be seen as active parrying with a shield.
Dimirag wrote:How about just adding your Dodge Skill instead of your Combat skill to your Defense Rating?
Solomoriah wrote:When you Dodge, you're doing nothing else; I have no problem with allowing this as an active roll (as it is in the rules now). I want to give the dodging player some feeling that he or she has some control over the character's fate.
The same applies for parrying actively, you don't do nothing else, but gain a flat bonus instead of a d20 roll.

So... Parrying, Dodging and Blocking should use a roll when doing it actively... how about increasing your defense by a d10? In case of dodging you replace your melee skill with your dodge skill.
Dimirag wrote:Parrying and Dodging should have some extra benefits as you lose your attack, specially Dodge as it makes you train in a second skill.
Solomoriah wrote:Ooh, that's a good point. Should Dodging still be separate? The earlier rules made it easier to upgrade skills (maybe a bit too easy) so having it separate wasn't such a big deal.

Perhaps Dodging should use the Combat skill, unless another skill (Acrobatics, perhaps) is available at a higher rank.
I like it as a separate skill. Parry and Block are part of the melee skill. How about something like:
-Dodge:
--Separate skill
--Unlimited uses per round
--Works against Ranged and Melee attacks
-Block
--Part of the melee skill
--Limited uses per round
--Gains a bonus based on the shield
--Requires a shield
-Parry
--Limited uses per round
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Dimirag wrote:The same applies for parrying actively, you don't do nothing else, but gain a flat bonus instead of a d20 roll.
When you dodge, you can only dodge. When you parry with a weapon, you may still use the weapon in your other hand to attack. The situation is not as orthogonal as it seems.
Dimirag wrote:I like it as a separate skill. Parry and Block are part of the melee skill. How about something like:
-Dodge:
--Separate skill
--Unlimited uses per round
-Block
--Limited uses per round
--Gains a bonus based on the shield
--Requires a shield
-Parry
--Limited uses per round
Ack. Three skills.

Dodging works much as you've stated it. However, I'm not sure what the difference in nature between blocking and parrying is supposed to be.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I guess I should clarify. The Combat skill is meant to mimic the abilities of the BFRPG Fighter class. Separating it into Melee and Ranged skills could be justified, but I'm trying to steer clear of the added complexity.

I want to hammer the heck out of this rule system before I begin making it more complicated. Building a complicated system is what got me into rewriting it in the first place... it's hard to fully understand the ramifications of a complex set of rules (or a simple but interwoven set of rules, which breeds complexity in the combinations). Removing the Dodge skill entirely and using Combat (or Acrobatics, if it's better) suits that plan better than adding a third kind of damage avoidance.

I'm not ruling it out in a future version, though. I do like the concept of thrust-and-parry battles.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Oh, I took the parrying as the use of the primary weapon to fend off attacks, I thought it was a defensive roll like dodging but it seems you are speaking of off-hand passive parrying (which would not be an action)

Not 3, 2 skills: melee (includes both blocking and parrying) and dodging.

The primary difference between blocking and parrying is that the first one gives you a bonus (the shield one) but requires a shield, the second one can be made with your weapon.

All my points where made from the perspective of parrying with the main weapon and that all of these moves where defensive rolls costing the allowable action.

Lets suppose a character armed with a longsword and shield, he can (using my thoughts above):
-Attack with the sword or shield while defending normally.
-Dodge an unlimited amount of attacks with his dodge skill (if any).
-Block a limited amount of attacks with his shield but gaining a bonus to each roll.
-Parry a limited amount of attacks with his sword.

Lets suppose he is fighting another character armed with a longsword and dagger, he can:
-Attack with the sword or dagger while defending normally (no change).
-Dodge an unlimited amount of attacks with his dodge skill (if any) (no change).
-Parry a limited amount of attacks with his sword and dagger combined (this should have a benefit).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hmm.

I think I'm going to go back and pull the original Dodge and Parry rules out of the version with the "innovative" mechanics that I discarded, patch them up and add them to the next release. Then we can revisit this. The more I think about it, the more I feel they are better anyway.

I am still leaning toward removing Dodge as a skill. It was created for a rule system that gave every weapon a skill of its own; less sensible with the current rules.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Parrying could be changed into a note about using an offhand weapon instead of the shield, as I now understand that is the intent for your parrying rules.

"Parrying
A combatant may choose to use a melee weapon in hand as if it were a small shield. If this is done, that weapon may not be used to attack in the same round."

There was my misunderstanding, the way I read it it just says you can use a melee weapon to parry as if it was a small shield for the shield bonus, I did not realize it was meaning for the use of a weapon in the offhand.

Now, taking into account that there is no parrying rolls the dodge skill and roll does not need to be modified as it seems balanced:
+It can be used against all attacks
+It lets you achieve a higher defense rating
-It can make you achieve a lower defense rating
-It is its own skill

Note that melee is a double cost skill while dodge is not.

Removing the dodge skill can work, but it is a matter of if you like your fighters able to dodge while only using a melee weapon... Otherwise brawling should be incorporated here as well....

Acrobatics: Make it a x2 cost skill, it can replace Dodge and be use for other actions (that's the way I've used acrobatics in several games)

On the weapon notes there is the -N AR, but no weapon has it on its notes.

On skills: Make the -5 penalty for Using A Skill You Don't Actually Know for all skills that can be used w/out ranks, it makes the rules more in line and makes having the first rank an important thing. (it basically has the same effect of increasing the difficulty by 1 level, but makes it the same for the combat skill and the rest of the skills).
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Let me get back to you on that after I get the next release out.

In the meantime, here's what I've gotten done on the GM's background for the introductory adventure I'm working on:
Once upon a time, a young Fae woman dallied with a wandering warrior, and when he had gone she discovered she was with child. The ways of the Fae are not those of Men, and so the young mother felt no shame when in due time her daughter was born. She named the girl Glissandra, and she loved her very much.

But the other Fae were not so kind to the girl. The children laughed at her clumsiness, and her size, and how quickly she grew up, and she heard the adults say that she was little better than a human. Finally in her sixteenth year she could no longer bear the taunts and smirks of her peers, and she wrote a note to her mother and ran away from home.

She found her way to the river road, and chanced to meet a farmer on his way to market in a nearby town. She knew only a little of the tongue of the men of the land in which she found herself, but he knew a smattering of Fae and so they got on well enough. She went with him to the town, and traded some of the silver ornaments she had with her for enough money to keep herself for a time. She learned to speak the language of the country, and found work in the local tavern.

Glissandra was happy for the first time in her life. Her form, which the Fae called big and fat and even misshapen, was considered buxom and curvaceous by the young men who now courted her. Her crystal blue eyes and pointed ears added spice to her otherwise womanly figure. She enjoyed the attention, so she delayed in choosing a man for the sheer joy of seeing them compete for her.

But the young woman had a secret even she did not know. A year passed, and as it did she continued to grow taller; soon it was obvious to all that her father was not a Man, but rather a Giant. The women of the town, angry that she had distracted their young men for so long, began to speak ill of her behind her back. Soon even the young men who had vied for her attention came to believe that she was a monster, and she was driven out of the town.

Heartbroken, Glissandra fled deep into the forest until she came to a ruined tower, the last bit of a once-mighty fortress. There she stayed, living off of the forest's bounty and what she could trade to those humans who would still speak with her. But she was Fae, after all, and knew a little magic; so she traded what she could for books and scrolls of ancient knowledge, and as time passed her knowledge of the art grew. Her father's people were long lived, and her mother's longer still, so though she has lived more than half a century she is not yet old. The locals call her the Ogress; her name is largely forgotten, even by those who have met her.

When children begin disappearing from the town, almost everyone believed she was the culprit. Only a single young servant in the house of the mayor of the town believed Glissandra was innocent. That servant, a girl named Missa, was the granddaughter of one of the young men who loved Glissandra. He stood with the townspeople when she was driven out, but he always felt guilty for doing so; on his deathbed, he told his son of his shame, and Missa overheard. She met the Ogress in the forest and befriended her, never telling her who her grandfather was. If she can find a way to do so, she will tell any adventurer she thinks might believe her that the Ogress must be innocent.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I like it, Glissandra looks like a half fae half giant beauty