Realms of Wonder (not BFRPG compatible)

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Realms of Wonder (not BFRPG compatible)

Post by Dimirag »

As for Alchemy: Instead of saying not to take the skill you can make it little or no helpful while adventuring outside identifying substances (a roll lets you know if its a potion, poison, beverage, etc, but a roll and the use of materials lets you know more of the substance in question). Make the creation of potions take time, money (ingredients) and has a chance of failure, so if a player wants to spend his character's free time doing healing potion he could do it spending money and succeeding at the rolls but then he must travel with all those bottles with him.

I like the "three book layout".

I'll download R22 and take a look at it.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I've tried to download R22, but it says R21, not only that, the file seems to be missing
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Dimirag wrote:I've tried to download R22, but it says R21, not only that, the file seems to be missing
Um... oops. Fixed.
Dimirag wrote:As for Alchemy: Instead of saying not to take the skill you can make it little or no helpful while adventuring outside identifying substances (a roll lets you know if its a potion, poison, beverage, etc, but a roll and the use of materials lets you know more of the substance in question). Make the creation of potions take time, money (ingredients) and has a chance of failure, so if a player wants to spend his character's free time doing healing potion he could do it spending money and succeeding at the rolls but then he must travel with all those bottles with him.
As it stands right now, I don't want to write the rules for alchemy, at least as far as brewing potions etc. However, I will probably revise R23 to include some of your suggestions for identifying stuff.
Dimirag wrote:I like the "three book layout".
Ur. I don't, mainly because getting this into print (and that is my end goal) will work a lot better if it's one book. I just need to come up with a useful, logical ordering.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I don't mean make it into three books, but rather use a "3 chapter" style: Rules, Monster, World, then it is just a matter of ordering the contents of each component.

Alchemy rules always are a bother and cumbersome thing... How about giving the creation part inside the statistics of the options? Something like:
Name, purchase cost, creation cost, creation time, creation difficulty.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Ah, interesting idea. I'll give it some thought. It may not be in the "first" edition since I really do want to discourage that.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

How about changing the History skill into a Knowledge (type) skill, when you learn it you choose which kind of knowledge like: history, art, religion, herbology, etc.

Does Find Traps works for removing them? Or is that a missing skill?

How about adding something like "The following skill list is by no means complete and the GM is encouraged to add new skills as he need it" before the skill descriptions. (Unless you want to keep a closed skill list).

Other skills that could be incorporated (taken from typical fantasy classes): Backstab, assassination, turning undead. I have thought on some others like combat styles (fencing, dual wield, martial arts, etc)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Dimirag wrote:How about changing the History skill into a Knowledge (type) skill, when you learn it you choose which kind of knowledge like: history, art, religion, herbology, etc.
I don't want to get that involved for the first edition. Trying to avoid scope creep.
Dimirag wrote:Does Find Traps works for removing them? Or is that a missing skill?
Ah, yes, it does, and that is missing from the rules. Will fix.
Dimirag wrote:How about adding something like "The following skill list is by no means complete and the GM is encouraged to add new skills as he need it" before the skill descriptions. (Unless you want to keep a closed skill list).
I don't feel I need to tell the GM what he can do with my rules. As I've said before, sometimes what you don't write is as important as what you do... in this case, leaving that out will encourage the novice GM to play the game "inside the box" while the experienced GM will understand instinctively that the game can be changed.
Dimirag wrote:Other skills that could be incorporated (taken from typical fantasy classes): Backstab, assassination, turning undead. I have thought on some others like combat styles (fencing, dual wield, martial arts, etc)
Backstab and assassinate are things I'm considering, but I'm not ready to write them down yet (see above about things you do or don't write). I don't think I'm even going to have undead turning as a feature.

Fencing is actually sort of built in, now that I've restored the original parry rules. Dual wielding is also built in (unless you mean no-penalty dual wielding, which is way too 3E for me).

Martial arts would be cool as a systematic thing, but I don't think traditional martial arts fit the game world very well. If I ever extend this game system to other genres (which was my plan when I came up with the Seventh Realm idea), I'll probably want something formal along that line.

Right now, I'm more interested in filling in the actual blank parts of the rules and polishing it up than in adding to it substantially. It's tempting, I know... a new game system with a different style and balance is always fun to play with.

I'm planning to make another release tomorrow, with the Find Traps thing filled in and maybe a couple more spells. I really need to get to work on the companion adventure, though... I think it needs it to have a chance to grow.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Perfect. If you need help with something feel free to ask
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm thinking strongly of running an online test of the game. I don't know whether to go PbP or Roll20. Are you interested in either?

(Of course, I'll have to run something other than the intro I'm writing since you're privy to some of the details.)
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Sorry but I have to decline, for the moment pbp is not inside my interest (for several reasons)