Thief Options: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Thief Options: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

Post your comments here for the Thief Options supplement, by Luigi Castellani.

Get it here:
https://www.basicfantasy.org/downloads. ... iefoptions
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
artikid

Re: Thief Options: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by artikid »

Hello,
In my original posts I only covered modifiers for typical B/X armor (leather, chain, plate), are there other armor types in the various expansions for BFRPG or races I didn't mention?
If this is the case maybe we should consider ampliating the Thieves' supplement...
for example:
Padded armor +5%
Scale armor -10%
Banded armor -30%

Also, would you -Solomoriah- be interested in adding the thief's traditional additional abilities (Read languages, use magic scroll) or would you rather avoid loading BFRPG's thieves with abilities?

Best regards
artikid
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I seem to remember that someone was discussing other armor types, but as yet I don't believe there is a supplement for that purpose.

Regarding read languages: I'd grant this as a new ability, probably at 4th level, at 10%, and allow the player to assign points to it instead of the other abilities (using the optional point-assignment rules from the back of the Core Rules). Reading scrolls could be a function of this ability, with perhaps a deduction of 25% plus 5% per spell level.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

This is how its done in LL
Level 4: A thief can read languages (any) with 80% probability. This ability does not include magical writings. If the roll does not succeed, the thief may not try to read that particular piece of writing until he reaches a higher level of experience.
I don't really like the 80% probability because its just strange that one day writing is just strange gibberish and then the next its almost automatic that you can read it. I suppose that is balanced by not being able to read scrolls.

On the other hand, 10% seems pretty low since most thief skills start with 20-30% chance. Maybe I'll start it with 25% since learning to read is like "unlocking" a new world. ;) and maybe up the scroll reading percentage to 50% plus 5% per spell level.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Nice supplement, and something that was definitely missing from the offerings. Tying the Read Languages skill to the ability to use scrolls is a great idea. Likewise, one might tie in Forgery and other scribe-like abilities to that skill. Like I mentioned in the other thread, I think a few extra abilities can be thrown into the mix, although I was thinking in terms of exchanging one or more standard thief abilities for alternate choices.

For instance, if one wanted a true 'dungeoneer/tomb raider' sort of character, then perhaps dropping Pick Pockets in order to pick up a Legend Lore sort of ability would be ideal. If one wants a Outdoorsy Thief (lets call him a scout) then perhaps Tracking would be an option instead of Pick Pockets or Open Locks. Perhaps an Enthrall (effectively a non-magical charm) ability might be an option for the smooth talking criminal.

I think other variations on the Backstab might be considered as well. Perhaps one might choose to forgo normal Backstabs in order to have a 'sniper' attack (a ranged backstab effectively), or a subdual based attack, or perhaps lose it altogether to pick up something else altogether?

Just ideas that I had been playing around with, but never fully developed.

Also, I think the optional advancement rules ought to be covered here (each level receiving points to spread around the abilities), especially if there are extra thief abilities simply added to the list (such as the aforementioned ReadLanguages).

cheers - good stuff 8-)
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm moving the discussion back over to the DF Workshop thread... see you guys there.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

Solomoriah, I edited the first to fix the link that wasn't working for me.

This is what the link was http://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#thiefoptions
This is what I changed it to http://www.basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#thiefoptions

Why does the www. make so much difference?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hmm. It shouldn't... both links work for me.
Hywaywolf

Post by Hywaywolf »

It must be a firefox thing, because I just tried them in IE and they both worked fine.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I run Firefox exclusively, so not likely.

I'll suggest that you click the link that isn't working, then shift-click the Reload button.