Thief Options: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Hywaywolf

Re: Thief Options: A Basic Fantasy Supplement

Post by Hywaywolf »

Actually I think its my work machine. Firefox does strange things there. It works fine here at home.
Urieal

Post by Urieal »

Suggestions on this...

Hide should be modified by WIS instead of INT (you learn better places to hide...common sense to hide in one place over another...just seems like a better attribute to use)

This may not be "Thief Options"...but I can't think of anywhere else to suggest it...
Give all classes the ability to attempt
Move Silently, Hide & Listen @ 10% (modified by armor and attributes)

Give all classes the ability to attempt
Climb @ 40% (modified by armor and STR)
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I think the Thief Options Supplement could use some tweaks and add-ons.

For instance,
With the Armor Supplement now, the Armor Penalty section could be modified to say "wearing no armor imparts a 10% bonus; wearing chain (or another medium weight armor) imparts a 20% penalty; wearing plate mail (or another heavy armor) imparts a 40% penalty; wearing a buckler does not impart a penalty, but the buckler cannot provide AC adjustment while a Thief ability is being conducted; wearing a Medium shield imparts 10% penalty (cumulative with other penalties above), and wearing a Tower Shield imparts a 20% penalty (again cumulative with armor).

We could add one or more Thief abilities that can be exchanged from the standard set such as Read Languages. Perhaps a couple of Charisma based Thief abilities can be introduced... a Fast Talker ability (a Persuade/Trick sort of ability), or Perform (bard-like stuff).

Alternates for Sneak Attack might be introduced.

This would be a good Supplement to add in the 'Thug' variant Thief class, and the Jester could be folded into this supplement as well (perhaps after a complete redo). Bard/Performer ought to appear here as well instead of as a separate supplement, perhaps with the Jester as simply a Bard/Performer who chooses a comedic style to role-play.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
LordPasty

Post by LordPasty »

SmootRK wrote:Alternates for Sneak Attack might be introduced.

This would be a good Supplement to add in the 'Thug' variant Thief class, and the Jester could be folded into this supplement as well (perhaps after a complete redo). Bard/Performer ought to appear here as well instead of as a separate supplement, perhaps with the Jester as simply a Bard/Performer who chooses a comedic style to role-play.

This is good, IMO! I like the idea of a Bard in BFRPG, and the Jester class (which I have to admit to having high hopes for) seems a bit broken (overpowered).
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

This is another supplement that is now(or will be) a part of my BFRPG games. Using modifiers for race and ability scores in combination with the optional rule of allowing the player to allot his skill points (rather than using the chart) from the core rules, will make each thief unique.
Last edited by Maliki on Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maliki

Post by Maliki »

This is how I adjusted the Thief Options Supplement

Effects of Armor
This variant allows Thieves to use any kind of armor or shield, but applies adjustments to their Thief abilities based on what sort of armor is employed. Note this also includes additional armors found in the Armor and Shield Supplement.

wearing no armor imparts a 10% bonus
wearing light armor, 25 pound or less (padded, leather or studded leather) imparts no penalty
wearing medium armor 26-50 pounds (hide, ring, chain, or splint armor) imparts a 20% penalty
wearing heavy armor, over 50 pounds (plate, scale, field plate or full plate) imparts a 40% penalty
wearing a buckler impart no penalty, but grants no AC bonus while a thief ability is being used. A medium shield imparts 10% penalty, while a tower shield imparts a 20% penalty (cumulative with other penalties above).
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

I have a question: How come there isn't an option to give thieves the standard backstab progression that's in every other pre-3e version of the game? I've always been confused by this.

1-4 x2
5-8 x3
9-12 x4
13+ x5

0e, 1e and 2e have this progression. What happened during the BX/BECMI time period?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

It wasn't in the rules, as far as I can remember. I just pulled out the Holmes book and couldn't even find backstab, much less any progression for it. I can't find Moldvay right now but I think double was all that it called for, and I don't think Cook/Marsh added anything to the abilities. I do have the Mentzer Expert handy (but not the Basic, can't find that one either) and it does not mention backstab at all; it would have to have been explained there, since only abilities up to the 3rd level were in the Basic book.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:20 pm It wasn't in the rules, as far as I can remember. I just pulled out the Holmes book and couldn't even find backstab, much less any progression for it. I can't find Moldvay right now but I think double was all that it called for, and I don't think Cook/Marsh added anything to the abilities. I do have the Mentzer Expert handy (but not the Basic, can't find that one either) and it does not mention backstab at all; it would have to have been explained there, since only abilities up to the 3rd level were in the Basic book.
Yea I'm just wondering why it was absent. Maybe it was just an oversight. Chris do you believe it would be unbalanced to house rule it into my own BF games?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Only way to know is to try it. :D

Probably not. Depends on how easy you go on your thieves' Move Silently and Hide in Shadows abilities.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org