Basic Fighting Animals! (Test)

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
LibraryLass

Re: Basic Fighting Animals! (Test)

Post by LibraryLass »

Sorin_777 wrote:For the record, I think doing a campaign setting with a few rules additions, races, and monsters is a smarter move than doing a whole system. Not saying you need to abandon what you've been working on, but if you can flesh this out, even with assistance from another writer, you could get your characters into playtesting much sooner than if you tried to slide a wholly different system in front of a gamer.

Can we do this? Can you give us a reason for your character races to exist, a basic backstory, and let people playtest your character races alongside with a typical BFRPG campaign? I for one think it would hilarious to roll up an NPC party of your funny animals for my guys to encounter.
Why should they need any more justification than elves or halflings?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I prefer having the core rules and any alternate rules free of any background as much as possible. So, to me, theres no need on puting that sort of things, the gm will create those details if needed.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Sorin_777

Post by Sorin_777 »

Why? Because with the 40 years of D&D gaming under our belts, we haven't run across these critters yet! It doesn't have to be anything big, but even the old basic sets gave us a little bit of flavor for demi-humans. Elves came from the forest, dwarves dig extensive underground caves and mines... It wouldn't be a far stretch to have these guys side by side in a D&D adventure, since there are so many crazy creatures abound already. When the old gazetteers introduced a new race of people, we got extensive back stories. Perhaps too much, I admit. Still I don't think it's a far stretch to say these critters came from some other continent that is less explored, which could give continuity as to their sudden appearance.

Then again, that could just be *my* approach. As with the gazetteer example, I can see that too much info could get in the way.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Well, thats fine and all basing on d&d, BUT BFRPG is NOT d&d. Nor the races or the monsters give an origin background neither it points to some place or history of origins. They are not really needed. BF is trully a background/setting free game and should't be compare with other simmilar games (past, present or future ones) except when needed for importing ideas and mechanichs.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/